Looking for some more geeky ornament ideas? Check out this pattern from Originals by Terry – a sparkly Vulcan symbol from Star Trek. She has this plastic canvas cross-stitch pattern in her Craftsy shop, along with other Star Trek images.
This Vulcan symbol represents the IDIC philosophy – “Infinite Diversity in Infinite Combinations,” which according to the Memory Alpha wiki, celebrates “the vast array of variables in the universe. In the Vulcan language, the term for IDIC is Kol-Ut-Shan.”
I like the simplicity of the IDIC symbol, and that it would just look like any other ornament unless you’re steeped in geek culture. Which of course we are.
How are you geekifying your tree/home this year?
Links of Interest:
Jewel Staite, who played Kaylee Frye on “Firefly” and “Serenity” was in Kansas City for Planet Comicon this weekend, and a local movie theatre took advantage and showed “Serenity”, followed by a short Q&A with her. As Browncoats, my husband, daughter and I were pleased to attend.
The Q&A was fairly quick but interesting. Here are some highlights:
- Jewel is apparently an “adventurous” foodie and has a food blog. She said while many in Hollywood “juice”, she does not: “I don’t juice. I steak.”
- She has enjoyed all the food she’s had in Kansas City, saying that what she’s eaten has been “top notch”. She specifically mentioned Jack Stack BBQ and Genessee Royale.
- She loves wine and enjoyed visiting Amigoni Urban Winery. She said if she wasn’t an actor, she’d probably be a winemaker. As much as she enjoys wine, however, she said Adam Baldwin is an even bigger “wine snob” than she is, but that’s ok, because he usually picks up the tab.
- When she is at cons, she is often too busy to seek anyone out, but tries to make time to find cast members from “Lost“. She is a big “Lostie”; Matthew Fox is one of her TV crushes.
- She hated wearing the ruffled dress in the episode, “Shindig” – it was just too cumbersome and hard to maneuver.
- Someone asked if she kept any of the props from the “Firefly” set – she said Nathan Fillion took most of them and has his own “museum.” She also said Adam has the head of the “Hero of Canton” statue from the episode, “Jaynestown.”
- Her favorite “Firefly” episodes were “Out of Gas” and “Objects in Space.”
- She said Nathan frequently tried to prank her on set, such as putting lotion on the door handle of her dressing room.
- She talks and texts with other “Firefly” cast members “all the time”: “I took away eight friendships.”
- She has two dogs and loves animals.
To make this post geek-crafty, I found you a Kaylee-inspired craft: Kaylee in her Shindig Dress Cross Stitch Pattern (shown above, originally shared on Craftster – click to see other Firefly cross-stitch projects)
If you had attended the Q&A with Jewel, what question would you have asked?
Check. This. Out:
This is an impressive piece of work. I’m always amazed by the time and care taken over large projects – probably because I have only the patience to stitch emoticons and Space Invaders. This amazingly detailed work depicting Darth Vader and Luke Skywalker really shows that hard work pays off.
Check out the original post on Tumblr. The creater of this piece made the pattern themselves using www.picturecraftwork.com, uploading an image they found online. I’d love to know how many differrent colours of thread were needed!