I recently made myself a pair of awesome Star Trek shoes by decoupaging fabric onto some canvas sneakers. I followed a tutorial that I can’t for the life of me find again, but I’ll see what I can remember. (if you happen to know where the tutorial is, please link us up in the Comments section below!)
What I thought was clever about the tutorial was that you made a pattern for the shoes using duct tape, instead of just cutting pieces of fabric willy-nilly to fit.
- canvas shoes
- 1/2 yd fabric
- duct tape
- fabric Mod Podge
- small soft paintbrush
- scissors and/or X-acto knife
- Place a piece of duct tape along the side of the canvas shoe and trim the excess off with sharp pointy scissors or an X-acto knife until you have a master pattern piece. Repeat for other side of the shoe.
- Remove the duct tape from the shoe. Place on fabric and cut around the pattern piece.
- Brush on fabric Mod Podge to shoe and carefully apply fabric to shoe. Smooth out any wrinkles.
- Allow to dry 30 minutes to overnight (follow instructions on bottle)
- Apply a coat of Mod Podge over the fabric to seal. Let dry.
I got the fabric at Jo-Ann’s – they have several patterns of both Star Trek and Star Wars fabrics.