Now that you’ve made your own Settlers of Catan game board set, it’s time to snuggle in with your Catan afghan and plan a Settlers of Catan party!
Fortunately, Jessica at Shower of Roses has done pretty much all the prep work for you, complete with a printable banner and food labels, and resource-inspired menu (see the Cupcakes of Catan above). All that’s left to add is a night of gaming fun!
Do you host themed gaming nights at your homestead? What fun elements wow’d your guests? Share your party prowess with the geek-crafting community below!
Links of Interest:
“Buttery caramel flavored moist bundt cake drizzled with homemade salted caramel sauce and dusted with Biscoff Cookie Crumbles.”
So begins Kathleen’s post on how she made her Star Wars Sarlacc bundt cake. A pretty tasty beginning, I’d say!
She recreated the omnivorous creature from “Return of the Jedi” in cake form, complete with little almond sliver spikes inside the center and cookie batter tentacles. I think the teeth she added are the icing on the cake (ahem – they’re made from frosting, after all…).
Be sure to check out her other Star Wars confections, such as Sarlacc cupcakes, Wampa cake, Tusken Raiders cookies, and Peppermint Jawa Brownies, as well as her Facebook page and Instagram feed. But I warn you, don’t do it on an empty stomach – her pics are mouth-watering!
Have you attempted any geeky cuisine? Tell us how it turned out in the comments section below!
Links of Interest:
Tea! That’s all I needed. A good cup of tea. A superheated infusion of free radicals and tannin. Just the thing for heating the synapses.
Did you think I had a different Doctor in mind? I mean there are 12 to choose from.
The Tardis Tea Infuser is available at Think Geek But to get to the actual Tea. We have so many choices. Like tea itself wasn’t geeky enough there are fandom blends to make you happy.
Fandom Blend Tea Sets from Adagio Tea Firefly, Teen Wolf, Harry Potter, Game of Thrones, Doctor Who…pick a sampler blend for $19. If there’s a fandom or three you want to try/gift.
Tea and Absinthe Doctor Who teas and Tea, Earl Grey Hot. They also have a few tea accessories.
Tea and Other Things – Butterbeer and Chocolate Frog flavored tea need I say more?
And of course you will need something to make this tea in:
I feel like there is a degree of Serenity placing those words on a teapot.
And One would be remiss to not provide something to drink the tea from. I pity the fool without a tea mug.
Build the geekest tea set you can, and go off and spread tea among the masses. All of the shops linked above, have a few other choices for mug, for pot, for infuser, and of course for Tea.
Guardians of the Galaxy is coming out on DVD this week, and I thought now’s the perfect time to get inspired by this fantastic movie. So, I’ve rounded up some craft ideas to help you get in the mood for talking trees, gun-wielding raccoons, and spontaneous dance-offs.
Dorothy Tan, from Design Taxi, has a really cool Groot paper craft pattern, designed by a freelancer in the Phillippines, Richenna King.
Not enough Groot goodness? How about these super cute Baby Groot Cupcakes? This DIY is actually pretty easy! It was put together by JK Denim, and I found it on Makezine.com.
I used to make stuff with Perler Beads (beads you fuse together with heat), and I found this pattern for a Rocket Raccoon:
The same designer has a Perler Bead pattern for Star Lord and Groot too!
And for you knitters out there, I found this delightfully fun Tape Cassette iPod Cozy.
More Links of Interest
Jewel Staite, who played Kaylee Frye on “Firefly” and “Serenity” was in Kansas City for Planet Comicon this weekend, and a local movie theatre took advantage and showed “Serenity”, followed by a short Q&A with her. As Browncoats, my husband, daughter and I were pleased to attend.
The Q&A was fairly quick but interesting. Here are some highlights:
- Jewel is apparently an “adventurous” foodie and has a food blog. She said while many in Hollywood “juice”, she does not: “I don’t juice. I steak.”
- She has enjoyed all the food she’s had in Kansas City, saying that what she’s eaten has been “top notch”. She specifically mentioned Jack Stack BBQ and Genessee Royale.
- She loves wine and enjoyed visiting Amigoni Urban Winery. She said if she wasn’t an actor, she’d probably be a winemaker. As much as she enjoys wine, however, she said Adam Baldwin is an even bigger “wine snob” than she is, but that’s ok, because he usually picks up the tab.
- When she is at cons, she is often too busy to seek anyone out, but tries to make time to find cast members from “Lost“. She is a big “Lostie”; Matthew Fox is one of her TV crushes.
- She hated wearing the ruffled dress in the episode, “Shindig” – it was just too cumbersome and hard to maneuver.
- Someone asked if she kept any of the props from the “Firefly” set – she said Nathan Fillion took most of them and has his own “museum.” She also said Adam has the head of the “Hero of Canton” statue from the episode, “Jaynestown.”
- Her favorite “Firefly” episodes were “Out of Gas” and “Objects in Space.”
- She said Nathan frequently tried to prank her on set, such as putting lotion on the door handle of her dressing room.
- She talks and texts with other “Firefly” cast members “all the time”: “I took away eight friendships.”
- She has two dogs and loves animals.
To make this post geek-crafty, I found you a Kaylee-inspired craft: Kaylee in her Shindig Dress Cross Stitch Pattern (shown above, originally shared on Craftster – click to see other Firefly cross-stitch projects)
If you had attended the Q&A with Jewel, what question would you have asked?
The next time you’re having a dinner party, how about serving Potatoes Diana, courtesy of The Kitchen Overlord.
Doesn’t that look amazing?! I love the lasso! Want to make it yourself? How could you not? You’re in luck. The recipe is found over on The Kitchen Overlord. They have tons of edible art for you to drool over. Think of the party you could throw! They even have vegan jerky crackers. You know you want it. Be sure to come back and let me know how it was!
The Kitchen Overlord