In honor of Adam Baldwin’s birthday on Friday (February 27th), I wanted to share something beyond the iconic hat he wore as Jayne Cobb in “Firefly.” We’ve shared a number of different variations of the Jayne Cobb hat over the years, such as a Doctor Who version, a scarf version, a cupcake version, and a lip balm cozy version.
Today I bring you the plushie version – as in, sitting atop a cute Jayne Cobb chibi plush, as created by Cristina, aka ViciousPretty.
Cristina shared her creation over on DeviantArt, where she also has an extensive gallery of other adorable plushie creations, such as Gandalf, Namor, and a number of Mass Effect characters.
Cristina’s Jayne plushie is so cute and cunning, I just want to take him right to my bunk and cuddle. What character have you created in plush form, or have plans to attempt?
Also, be sure to wish Adam a happy birthday on Friday via Twitter!
Links of Interest:
Tea! That’s all I needed. A good cup of tea. A superheated infusion of free radicals and tannin. Just the thing for heating the synapses.
Did you think I had a different Doctor in mind? I mean there are 12 to choose from.
The Tardis Tea Infuser is available at Think Geek But to get to the actual Tea. We have so many choices. Like tea itself wasn’t geeky enough there are fandom blends to make you happy.
Fandom Blend Tea Sets from Adagio Tea Firefly, Teen Wolf, Harry Potter, Game of Thrones, Doctor Who…pick a sampler blend for $19. If there’s a fandom or three you want to try/gift.
Tea and Absinthe Doctor Who teas and Tea, Earl Grey Hot. They also have a few tea accessories.
Tea and Other Things – Butterbeer and Chocolate Frog flavored tea need I say more?
And of course you will need something to make this tea in:
I feel like there is a degree of Serenity placing those words on a teapot.
And One would be remiss to not provide something to drink the tea from. I pity the fool without a tea mug.
Build the geekest tea set you can, and go off and spread tea among the masses. All of the shops linked above, have a few other choices for mug, for pot, for infuser, and of course for Tea.
Jewel Staite, who played Kaylee Frye on “Firefly” and “Serenity” was in Kansas City for Planet Comicon this weekend, and a local movie theatre took advantage and showed “Serenity”, followed by a short Q&A with her. As Browncoats, my husband, daughter and I were pleased to attend.
The Q&A was fairly quick but interesting. Here are some highlights:
- Jewel is apparently an “adventurous” foodie and has a food blog. She said while many in Hollywood “juice”, she does not: “I don’t juice. I steak.”
- She has enjoyed all the food she’s had in Kansas City, saying that what she’s eaten has been “top notch”. She specifically mentioned Jack Stack BBQ and Genessee Royale.
- She loves wine and enjoyed visiting Amigoni Urban Winery. She said if she wasn’t an actor, she’d probably be a winemaker. As much as she enjoys wine, however, she said Adam Baldwin is an even bigger “wine snob” than she is, but that’s ok, because he usually picks up the tab.
- When she is at cons, she is often too busy to seek anyone out, but tries to make time to find cast members from “Lost“. She is a big “Lostie”; Matthew Fox is one of her TV crushes.
- She hated wearing the ruffled dress in the episode, “Shindig” – it was just too cumbersome and hard to maneuver.
- Someone asked if she kept any of the props from the “Firefly” set – she said Nathan Fillion took most of them and has his own “museum.” She also said Adam has the head of the “Hero of Canton” statue from the episode, “Jaynestown.”
- Her favorite “Firefly” episodes were “Out of Gas” and “Objects in Space.”
- She said Nathan frequently tried to prank her on set, such as putting lotion on the door handle of her dressing room.
- She talks and texts with other “Firefly” cast members “all the time”: “I took away eight friendships.”
- She has two dogs and loves animals.
To make this post geek-crafty, I found you a Kaylee-inspired craft: Kaylee in her Shindig Dress Cross Stitch Pattern (shown above, originally shared on Craftster – click to see other Firefly cross-stitch projects)
If you had attended the Q&A with Jewel, what question would you have asked?
In honor of Adam Baldwin’s birthday on February 27th, I found a fun subtle ode to his Jayne Cobb character on the super-shiny, yet sadly-canceled-before-its-time TV show “Firefly.” Sharon Muffett posted this clever Jayne Bag over on Craftster.
She gathered a compilation of quippy Jayne quotes, created a design in Photoshop, printed it onto calico fabric, and used that to create a bag. Brilliant. This concept would be easy to apply to other fandoms – which would you choose?
Links of Interest:
Jayne strapped on his hat
And in five seconds flat
Stole everything Boss Higgins had to steal.
—Hero of Canton, The Ballad of Jayne Cobb
The hero of Canton had a hat. Some tried to take the yarn away from us. Well then I say let us knit cake! Cupcakes, cunning ones at that. Blogger wipinsanity has created a free knitting pattern for a Jayne cupcake.
Look at that cake, you know you want to make up.
KitLaurie’s Kaylee (found here) is just too cute in her fancy gown and crooked smile. She looks all ready to head out to a swanky shindig in her outfit–that comes complete with gloves and a yummy strawberry. Kaylee was made using a pattern found here. Or if you’re not a crocheter, don’t despair. KitLaurie takes commissions over on Tumblr.